Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Haul and Review: L.A. Colors from Dollar Tree

Yesterday, while I was finding small beads to hold my brushes, I went to a Dollar Tree. Basically, everything is priced at US$1 only.

I did not find my beads there, but I got 5 items. They are all cosmetics, by L.A. Colors. I have only bought US$1 products from e.l.f. before, having more good than bad experiences with their products, I decided to try out the other US$1 brands.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

They are three 12 Color Eyeshadow, 1 Nail Polisher and 1 Mascara. Cost me less than US$5.50 to get them all.



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This was the palette by L.A. Colors that prompted me to buy more of their products to try. I was dating with the hubby at The Block of Orange after 10 p.m. Of course, most of the shops had closed. A younger generation fashion shop named Epilogue was still opened. I decided to make a quick check on their cosmetics session and found this 5 Color Metallic Eyeshadow for only US$2.80.

Then, I vaguely recalled I did see this brand in Youtube videos. So decided to pick up one that is called EP26 Mesmerize. Through their swatches, beside the first color (too similar to my skin tone), all the other five actually showed quite well for their low price. The eyeshadows texture is obviously not as smooth, but by using a good eye primer, these colors will probably show up better on the eyes, which I have yet to try.

The 12 Color Eyeshadow Palette come in 8 choices, and I picked three.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The first palette is called Traditional (BEP421), all in neutral shades.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The second palette is also neutral shades, called Trendy (BEP423). This Trendy palette tends to have more orangish and reddish neutral shades than the Traditional.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The last one is called Supernatural (BEP424). These colors are more blue and grey series.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The Nail Polisher is in metallic grey and the Mascara is in Very Black.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Traditional.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Trendy.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Supernatural.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

From each of the palettes, I just swatched two colors to show here (see the number labeled in the palette).

These colors are not exactly matte, has a slightly shimmery effect in them. However, they are not as vibrant as the metallic palette. Although not that smooth in texture, they glide quite easily on my fingers.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The metallic grey of the nail polish actually quite pretty.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

It is very vibrant. However, I have yet to try them on my nails. Not sure about the anti-chipping ability.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This was the only item I totally regretted buying it.

I have only used higher end mascaras before, I was curious to see how a US$1 mascara will be. Bad decision!

The smell is horrible, like the caligraphy ink that I used during high school.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The brush is stiff, poked my water liner. Worse, I felt it sting my eyes when I applied it.


It will most probably end up in my trash bin soon.
 
My take on the 12 Color Eyeshadow Palettes: Their prices are really cheap, good for fun trying, but I don't think I will rebuy them again. I personally think the eyeshadows in e.l.f. Mini Makeup Collection has better quality and smoothness with the similar price range. 
 
XOXO, Fish Fish

6 comments:

Pink Cotton said...

all that for only $5??? O_O
thats really a bargain!

i will never buy cheap mascara too :( i once bought one from a taiwan brand just for fun and it stung my eye too. since i wear contacts, i was so scared i would turn blind...lol

Fish Fish said...

Pink Cotton, yes, I was pleasantly surprised with the price. I wish I did more research before buying that US$1 mascara. Oh well, lesson learned. I am tempted to try drugstore brands though, since I heard good review about them.

Shopcoholic said...

i love LA Colors too, especially their eyeshadows!

Stavroula said...

I've never tried LA Colors before! I might try them though! :) Thanks for the comment on my blog btw, I just followed yours! ;)

drugstoreandbargainlover

Fish Fish said...

Shopcoholic, I need to use more of these eyeshadows to know more about them.

Stavroula, you are welcome. I like your blog. :) Interesting tips and tricks.

Stavroula said...

Hehe thank you so much!! :D

drugstoreandbargainlover