Thursday, July 22, 2010

Review and Products Comparison: Urban Decay Naked Palette versus Urban Decay Shadow Boxes (Deluxe, Ammo, Skull and Wallpaper)

I am very happy to receive my Urban Decay Naked Palette yesterday, as it came at the right time for me to celebrate the 5th anniversary of the hubby and me started our dating. Definitely going to dress myself up using this palette for our dinner tonight. ^_^

Although there are quite a number of reviews in blogs and Youtube videos on this Naked Palette already, here is my version of review. I also compare it to the other four Urban Decay Shadow Boxes that I own, hopefully it will help you to make easier decision whether to buy it or not.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


My first impression when I received this palette - Urban Decay LOVE Purple!

Their website is purple, every palette that I have either full with purple or decorated with purple, their UDPP is purple, and yes, they do make very pretty purple shade products.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

At first glance, the Naked Palette is nothing like the signature Urban Decay design. However, if you noticed closely, this Naked Palette is actually "an evolution" from their existing palettes. I'll show you in the later part of this post. I consider this a good evolution as it actually will capture a lot of new customers that never thought their products can be this neutral.  The palette comes with a mini UDPP (about 1/3 of the regular size), which is a good size for travelling.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Instead of their "traditional" checkered arrangement, the 12 shadows in this Naked palette are aligned side-by-side. This is actually more space saving and allow more products to be packed into the same palette.

A lot of reviews are saying that each of the eyeshadows come in full size, it might be true if you look at the 0.05 oz. However, if you read the product content in grams, each of the eyeshadows is actually weighing at 1.3 g while a single full size eyeshadow come as 1.5 g, a 0.2 g difference.

Also, unlike other Shadow Boxes, this one does not come with any applicator. Instead, it is substituted with a newly designed double-ended 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Zero and Whiskey.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

First 6 colors of the palette were of lighter shades, consisting 2 matte (Naked and Buck), 1 satiny (Virgin) and 3 shimmery (Sin, Sidecar and Half Baked). The next 6 colors were more intensed and darker, aiming to create a more accentuate or dramatic look. There are 4 shimmery (Smog, Darkhorse, Toasted and Hustle) and 2 sparkly (Creep and Gunmetal). It is a good thing to me, and many of the Urban Decay lovers that this palette does not come with any glittery eyeshadow.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Here is a closer look at the 12 eyeshadows. I set my camera lighting nearest to the natural colors of these eyeshadows, so these are 95% true to the eyeshadow colors in real life. Out of the 12 colors, only Sin repeated once in my Ammo palette and Smog repeated twice in my Ammo and Wallpaper palettes.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Black and brown are my two favorite colors for eyeliners. Eventhough I already have three Zero (black) eyeliners at half size, I don't mind another extra, as I use black eyeliner frequently. Love to see a new brown color (Whiskey) without any sparkly things in it.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Another feature that I truly enjoy is the long and deep compartment of the palette to keep the Eye Pencil in place. I can actually use this compartment to alternate with other eye pencils, to keep an applicator and mini eye pencils at the same time or even an eyeshadow brush. This to-go function is unachievable by my other Eyeshadow Boxes as the compartments for the applicators are too short and shallow.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Here are the swatches of the first 6 colors without and with UDPP. The colors of these eyeshadows remained the same, except that I would have to apply two layers to get the same intensity of the colors of one layer with UDPP. Of all the colors, Naked really look "naked" on my hand. It totally blended into my hand tone. I hope on my eyes, it will show, or else I would have to use it as an eyeshadow base.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The darker shades are more intensed, even without UDPP and only 1 layer. Still, by using UDPP, these eyeshadows really stand out. I can imagine how awesome they will look on one's eyes.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No UDPP was used for swatching the eye pencils. Only one light stroke and the colors show vividly on my hand. Very creamy and smooth texture. The 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencils are my favorite because it is so easy to apply that it will not hurt the delicate eyes areas. Also, these eye pencils have 30 seconds before they set, giving me enough time to work on the mistakes.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Here is a comparison of the long sleek Naked Palette and the other four Eye Shadow Boxes. Among the four, I personally think that Naked palette is the most similar to the Deluxe palette.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The outer parts of both palette are built from same material - velvet. Eventhough some people think this kind of material might attract lints easily, so far I don't have any problem with my Deluxe palette.

Both of the palettes do not have any glittery eyeshadows.

The Naked palette is exactly half the width and double the length of the Deluxe palette. However, the Naked palette is 1.5 times thicker for the compartment that keep the products. Deluxe palette has thicker cover. This explains why Naked palette managed to store 12 eyeshadows with a total weight 15.6 g while Deluxe only able to store 9 eyeshadows with a total weight 10.8 g.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The long sleek Naked Palette has longer mirror and more simple inner design. It makes the huge Naked words really stand out both in and out.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

By comparing the double-ended (A) with three of my 24/7 Glide-On eye pencils (B, full size; C, Hi-Fi and Stereophonic sets size; D, XL UDPP set size). The double-ended eye pencil is almost the same length yet 0.2 g less than the full size. 


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I have a XL size and a XS size UDPP, but not the regular size. The middle (S) is the size of the UDPP that comes with this palette. Although the S size looks small, it can actually last months if you use every single bit of it. I just wish Urban Decay will change the silly packaging of their UDPP. Changing the wand design is not really helping much, the bottle is the one that need to be redesigned.



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

For the last past, here is a full comparison of the Naked palette with each of the Shadow Boxes.

Note: *Total value are calculated based on the ratio of the products in the palettes to the full size retail prices of the eyeshadows, eye pencils and UDPP.

Among the four Shadow Boxes, Deluxe is my first choice because all the colors are shimmery and easy to work with. I also like the idea that it has 5 colorful eyeshadows that can blend easily with the three neutral tones in the palette. I actually like all the color although I hardly able to use Graffiti because green does not match with my eyes.

My second choice is Skull palette. Ammo palette comes in the third place because it has 2 glittery eyeshadows. I tend to go to Skull palette slightly more than Ammo palette. I had high hope on the Wallpaper palette because it looks so beautiful online, only to be disappointed by the THREE glittery eyeshadows in it. I do however love the Last Call, Shotgun, Smog and Shattered in this palette.

Although I have not really use the Naked palette yet, based on the value, the eyeshadows quality and extra things that came with it, I am putting it at the same rank as my Deluxe palette at the moment. It might be going higher than my Deluxe palette in the future. In fact, by having Naked and Deluxe palettes, I pretty much can do all kinds of look on my eyes.

If you are a neutral-tone person, Naked palette will be the perfect match for you. However, if you want something more colorful, Deluxe might be a better choice as it comes with three neutral tones and 5 colorful eyeshadows.

Finally, if you are like me, then my advise is to get both Naked and Deluxe palettes. They cost less than US$90 (including tax), yet you get 21 very high quality and workable eyeshadows, 2 shades of eye pencils and two travel size UDPPs. A little goes a long way, that's how Urban Decay products are to me. ;)

XOXO, Fish Fish

5 comments:

PEACHY PINK SISTERS said...

This is such a comprehensive review Fish Fish. I appreciate your comparison with the other UD palettes. I am ashamed to admit that I do not own UD at all (I don't use ES too often!!!) but I am really lusting for the Naked Palette, especially after reading this. I think it will really work for me :) Thank you! - Trace

Pink Cotton said...

aw..i would be nicer if the naked palette has more matte colors tho...i m not really a shimmery type of person

seems like the naked palette has more value compared to the other UD palettes. nice review! very detailed :)

Fish Fish said...

Trace: Can you believe that I don't own any MAC yet? It is one of the most talk cosmetics brand in the internet, maybe I should try it one day. But I am more curious to try Make Up For Ever.

Pink Cotton: Yes, this Naked Palette definitely has the best value. Oh, the shimmery shadows in Naked Palette is not bad at all. I think they look more satity on my eyes. The ones that are causing a lot of problems is the glittery ones. So glad they omit that in the Naked palette.

PEACHY PINK SISTERS said...

Really? :) That's such a surprise! MUFE is actually pretty nice (I have tried the HD foundation, aqua eye pencil, diamond powder shadow and eyeshadow), though i'm not addicted to it. Makeup is so much fun!!! Instant gratification + variety of choices!

Fish Fish said...

Wow! That's quite a few items you tried from MUFE. In U.S., MUFE is only available in Sephora. I tried to swatch their eyeshadows at Sephora store before, but I am not addicted to it too. Not like Urban Decay eyeshadows! LOL