Thursday, August 05, 2010

How much is too much?

I was looking up some information on Yahoo when one of the article caught my attention.

"Glitch reveals airbrushing"

Curiously, I clicked on the link, and it was talking about "Ann Taylor's retoucher strikes again".


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The article was about a computer glitch in Ann Taylor's site that was detected by Jezebel. A model original size (left) was shrunked into a different version with unrealistic waist line and and tiny hip as the page was loaded (right).



Too bad the glitched have been removed and the thinner image was no more available. I wish I could see that.

This is definitely not the first time we heard about over photoshopping of public figures online or in the magazines. In fact, it is getting more and more common, or even more and more extreme. Anything can be photoshopped, including belly buttons!!

Anyway, here is my take on the airbrush obsession by retailers on their models.

I don't mind if the model is photoshopped to adjust the brightness or deepen the contrast. However, making a model waist from size 2 (which is already small) into a -2; or airbrushing the face to become 0 defect; or liquify the arms thinner than a new born baby; or similar acts - are totally absurb to me. 

Who are going to buy these products eventually? We, the consumers, the normal looking crowd. If what are shown on the photos are not the true effect of the products, why should we even buy them in the first hand? This explains why I hardly buy any clothings or shoes online, without checking them in real life. I am the type that prefer to inspect beforehand than return the items later.

They might think these are necessary to symbolize the perfectionism of their brands, but in reality, we can be turned off by such images.

I was window shopping in Victoria's Secret, and two ladies were looking at one of the photo in the cosmetics section. "Oh gosh!! Look at those lips, this is a ridiculous airbrushed photo!" She pointed it to her friend. Indeed, the lips was too pouty, and shiny, and lineless to be real at all. Is that mean after using the same product, same effect will be seen on my lips? I doubt doubt doubt...

Even cameras nowadays, you will see a function called Beauty Mode or similarly named. Basically, it is a photoshop function in a camera. I tried the function in the shops before, I was shocked with how unrecognizable the camera turned me into. My face was so smooth and soft that I could not detect a single wrinkles nor dark spot on my face.

Instead of spending 1 hr to do a makeup for covering up flaws on my face, with that camera, I can just obtain a perfect look with a click. I don't know if I like to cheat myself that "I am perfect".

I do enjoy photoshop functions, it has helped me tremendously in editing figures for my work. However, for personal photos, I am happy with the brightness and contrast functions.

What is the use of seeing myself a size 2 and flawless face in a picture when in real life, I am nothing near to that? :)

XOXO, Fish Fish

No comments: